Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The 80's Goes Schwarzenegger: Terminator

The Terminator was released in 1984 and became a true cultural phenomenon, spawning an industry that includes multiple movies, a television show, and an entire mindset.

KATE SAYS this is the second time I've seen this movie. This time, after watching so many 80's films, the first thing I noticed was how "modern" Cameron's script is in comparison to the others. As Mike has pointed out, many of the movies we've watched take their time establishing the premise or backstory. The Terminator just, BANG, starts with two naked guys dropping into L.A.

It is an incredibly violent film. Even though I'd already seen the film, I was surprised at the roommate's death. Maybe all the friendly family shows we've been watching got me thinking that all 80's films were sweet and cute!

This time I approached the show as pure action without considering the mythological apparatus (the first time, I was trying to fit this movie in with the others; I actually saw the second movie first, and although that movie does stand alone, it does help to watch the movies in order).

From the perspective of pure action, this is an amazing film: tight with a single arc and some truly awesome images. CGI-shmiCGI: being chased by a tank-truck tops them all!

The movie also has a fantastic pay-off. Sarah Connors really grows as a person, and despite the sadness of Reese's death, it is nice to see a pay-off where the heroine is NOT rescued at the last minute by someone else. In addition, the pay-off is clever; both Sarah and Reese have to reason under pressure. It ISN'T about who has the bigger gun. It IS about smarts--less, well, Schwarzenegger; more Bourne.

I like this; in many ways, this first movie is far better constructed and emotionally resilient than the second (of course, the real hero in the second is Arnold S. which creates its own fun).

And I really like the music! Music is one of those things that when done well, isn't noticed. When it's done badly, it ruins everything (Ladyhawke, anyone?). I didn't notice the music the first time. This time, I was totally impressed. The score has a clear theme without being too obtrusive.

All in all, I rate this film as one of the best action films ever made. And the cyborg wasn't cute!

MIKE SAYS Terminator is one of those great genre films I can never get tired of watching. I may know what's going to happen, that doesn't make it any less enjoyable.  Like Kate, I love the pacing of this movie. Cameron knows how to get our attention and saves the exposition until we're hooked.  The first glimpses of the war-ravaged future create a world that is rich enough for three more films and a television series to be based off of.

While the film does take the time to establish Sarah, it does it in a very natural way by making the threat to her life evident and eminent, and then by following her through her life.  Getting the back story in snatches is both maddening and addicting.  As a viewer, I'm dying for every snippet of information the film will give me of Reese's backstory.

I first saw the film on video around the time I was 9 while spending the night at a friend's house.  The film has stayed with me ever since, and Arnold's robot eye (and the removal) remained one of the iconic images of my childhood.  The final battle in the factory is something I remember almost scene for scene, yet I love to rewatch it.  Sarah's transformation into a warrior of necessity is really compelling to me.

The police house scene was the most terrifying thing to me, and taught me a lesson I'm not sure I was supposed to learn: in the end, even the police are just human beings.

The most satisfying thing about the film these days, for me, is how seamlessly it transitions into the second film.  A deleted scene from the first movie shows Sarah basically stating the entire plot of what would become the second film.

While the franchise may have wavered, the film is a solid piece of cinema, and presents a very cool spin on an idea that had been bubbling under the 80's consciousness.  Combining evil robots with time travel may have been done before, but Cameron made it believable:  every extraordinary thing in the movie originates in a time where it might be feasible, making it just believable enough for there to be real fear.

I could go on, but it's enough to say that I love this film, and it's sequel.  The films create a compelling world and mythology, which is made all the more interesting by the idea of an alternate history.  With so much left vague, it's no wonder that the fans demanded more and more exploration of that world. Now, excuse me, I've got to watch Part 2.


No comments: