Saturday, March 31, 2012

Batman (1989) and Batman Begins

Superhero & universe: Batman, DC Comics

Is it based on a comic? You bet! Batman first appeared in Detective Comics in 1939. His comics gained literary status with Frank Miller's series Batman: Year One, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, and The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Haven't they already made that?
What with movie serials in the 1940s, the television show (1966), the upcoming movie The Dark Knight Rises, and Batman animated comics--culminating in the stunning Batman: the Animated Series (1992)--Batman is a staple of popular culture.

What the heck does this have to do with Avengers? Like Superman, Batman holds a sure and uncontested place in the superhero echelon. He is more of an anti-hero than Superman, a dark lord of the underworld rather than an Apollo-like bringer of light (Frank Miller's depiction of Superman and Batman's love/hate relationship is inspired). Avengers, naturally, uses all superhero types: the cunning capitalist, the crafty man of shadows, and the stalwart hero of no pretenses. A good team of superheroes needs them all!

Mike says
in our last post, I mentioned that as I kid, I loved the few comic book movies that were out there, and loved them intensely. As an adult, I realize I loved them because they were all I had at the time. Comparing Batman to Batman Begins not only brings this to mind, but also something that happened with my dinosaur-obsessed son, Benji, a couple years ago.

Benji went through a period where he had TWO favorite stuffed animals, a small, laughing, cheapo alligator that he thought was a dinosaur, and a Curious George. Then, one weekend, cheapo faux-dino gator got left at the sitter's, and the result was a very upset toddler. So in an act of sheer desperation, I raced my car to the mall and ran into Barnes & Noble a full two minutes before closing. One minute and 45 seconds later I left the store with a very expensive T-Rex from "How do Dinosaurs say I Love You."

The next morning, after reclaiming faux-dino gator, Benji sat holding both toys very thoughtfully. He then tossed aside faux-dino, hugged his new T-Rex, and walked away, never to touch the gator again. A year later, he did the same thing with his baby blanket when we bought him a dinosaur bed set.

For geeks, this is essentially what happened when Batman Begins was released; sure we loved Batman, because it's what we had. But when the real thing came along, most of us saw Batman as the turd it was and tossed it, never to return.

There's not too much to say about Batman. Tim Burton is, if anything, a very interesting guy, and proves it as always with this film. Michael Keaton does okay, but Nicholson really steals the show. The looks of the film, while revolutionary for it's time, seem pretty silly compared to the more subdued and "realistic" comic films of today.

Overall, Batman was amazing at the time because of its visuals and its ability to bring costumed heroes to life. We were all so thrilled about those aspects that most people overlooked the film's biggest glaring error: it completely missed on its interpretation of Batman.

Burton's characterization of Batman/Wayne is of a scarred man seeking revenge; really, the biggest difference between him and the Joker is which side of the law his victims come from. But hey, it was the late 80's, and for some reason we liked our heroes a little dark and grisly.

Batman Begins was, and still is, a revelation. Not only is it more true to the tone and story of the comics (that's right, a guy named Joe Chill killed Bruce's parents and had NO ice powers... take that Shuemacher!). The gritty realism of the film is achieved with plenty of light and color, without stooping to using neon or painting everything black.

Perhaps the most brilliant method that Nolan used was making it a crime film-- this could have easily taken place in the 1930's with little to no change in the plot, although some props might be tweaked. Even The Dark Knight plays more like a 30's gangster film that a superhero movie. Which suits Batman very nicely.

Wayne/Batman is also much closer to the comic version. Instead of vengeance, Bruce is seeking justice, and trying to prevent others from suffering his fate. Despite his inner darkness, Bruce fights for hope.

Another smart move for the film was to try and bring it into reality (okay, humor me for a minute). While the technology of the film is a little outlandish, it's not that far out of sync from what we really have. Add a far more realistic city (Chicago instead of a Burton city of nightmare), and Batman Begins requires far less suspension of disbelief than the Burton movies.

The final nail in the coffin of the Burton/Shuemacher series is how much Nolan relied on the comics. The inspiration of "Batman Year One" and many other Frank Miller story lines are easily detected in Batman Begins, as well as in The Dark Knight.

Watching Begins again made me all the more excited for The Dark Knight Rises, a film reportedly based on both "Knight Fall" and Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, which is THE definitive Batman comic. So while Batman does come from a shaky past (sorry Adam West), things are definitely looking up.

Kate says a few years ago, after seeing Batman Begins for the fifth or sixth time, I decided to revisit Batman with Michael Keaton. I watched about a minute and was so put off by the shiny costume, I changed my mind.

This time, I went in anticipating the over-the-top comic-book look, and truth be told, I enjoyed the Batman parts. But the Joker dominates the movie, and I loath the Joker in general, Tim Burton’s Joker particularly.

When I was younger, my mother didn’t want me to see this movie because of the nihilistic content. She was right about the content. However, I was a teen, so I went ahead and saw the movie a half-dozen times anyway. I hardly noticed the disturbing violence. In fact, for a movie that was a staple of my teen years, I remembered surprisingly little!

Couple decades later, I find the movie's nihilistic violence almost impossible to watch (I did make it to the end for this review)—despite the movie's conflict making more sense than the conflict of Batman Begins. Watching Batman made me want to go watch The Dark Knight—which I’ve only seen once (Joker movie)—for some comparatively good, clean, wholesome entertainment.

My problem with Batman is almost entirely with the Joker-as-narrative-arc, not the casting. I quite like Robert Whul as Knox and Michael Gough as Alfred. I even prefer Kim Basinger as token-love-interest over Katie Holmes, whose Rachel Dawes is rather depth-less. (However, Maggie Gyllenhaal of The Dark Knight outclasses them both.) I address Michael Keaton as Batman a little further down.

So Batman has an okay cast—but Batman Begins (sans Katie Holmes) has better. Michael Caine does a more than credible job as foil/butler/father-figure. And then there is Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, and Tom Wilkinson, each in a class of his own!

Oh, I mustn’t forget Christian Bale . . .

Regarding the two Batmans:

Michael Keaton is a strong, versatile actor. Having said that, even when Batman came out, I remember finding him an unlikely Batman. I still do. But he’s Michael Keaton, and he can do anything!

The main reason I find him unlikely is that I associate Keaton with roles that utilize an understated, pointed, “everyman” approach. Even as Beetlejuice, Keaton delivers a tight, clever, almost self-contained performance. But Batman is a man of darkness and mystery who performs to an entire city. He is larger-than-life.

As Bruce Wayne, Keaton is excellent. He is pleasant, unassuming, intense, appealing, and funny in a laughing-with-Keaton kind of way. (Keaton is one of those guys who can make you fall over laughing just by saying, “How’s the soup?”)

As Batman, Keaton seems uneasy—diminished. He comes off as far more dangerous, dark, and mysterious when he faces the Joker at Vale’s apartment as Wayne than when he faces the Joker as Batman at the factory and at the cathedral.

Bale, on the other hand, fills his Batman costume and I don’t mean in a physical sense. He really sells the idea that Batman, not Wayne, is the true persona while Wayne is the disguise. (“Do I look like a cop?”) Since the movie is, well, about Batman, I have to vote for Bale as the more faithful-to-the-concept version.

Besides, Batman Begins has a WAY cooler car.

2 comments:

Kezia said...

I don't remember when I first saw the '89 Batman, but it didn't have nearly the impact as Batman: The Animated Series did over my early concept of Bruce Wayne/Batman. I did re-watch the film a few years ago and didn't care for it at all. Even being a fan of the Joker as a character, I've seen Jack Nicholson portraying enough mentally unstable characters that this just felt like one more.

Batman Begins, in contrast, remains one of my favourite films. It gave me the in-depth look at Bruce Wayne I always wanted and it's one of my favourite interpretations of Batman. (Oddly, I think my second favourite version of Batman is from the cartoon Batman: The Brave and The Bold, which is very much a Silver Age throwback, albeit self-aware of this fact.)

Mike Cherniske said...

I agree that Brave and The Bold is a TON of fun. I love the little hidden in jokes for long time comic fans, and I love how it totally caught the fun of the silver age, and mixes it with just the right blend of nostalgia and modern references.