Friday, June 24, 2011

The Lakehouse

Time Travel Device: The mailbox (the movie could be called The Lakehouse's Mailbox)

Time Travel Outcome/Purpose: To bring the lovers together.

Coolness Factor: The parallel timelines that aren't precisely parallel due to the occasional overlaps.

Flaws: There seem some easy solutions like Kate giving Alex her phone number or telling him to meet her somewhere where she remembers she was in the past.

Paradox: Not strictly predestination since the events are happening to both Kate and Alex simultaneously, but they (or Alex) decide to "obey" the rules after he avoids death on Valentine's Day. On the other hand, some predestination would have to be at work since, if Alex doesn't die, why would Kate go to The Lakehouse to recover from his death? (Granted, she does express a need to go several times after that day.)

Kate says I really enjoy this movie. I've always liked Sandra Bullock and although I would be the first to say that Reeves is a better physical than emotional actor, I think this part works for him. For most of the movie, he is directed as just a guy talking to people. He isn't asked to emote much, and the few times he does are understated.

But then--with the exception of some corny visuals--the movie is fairly low-key, even leisurely. A few things like the tree are a bit overstated, but the meeting at Kate's birthday party is nicely done. Alex's decision to not stampede her makes him likable and also underscores the movie's theme: to wait, to be patient.

The movie, like all time travel movies, does entail a suspension of disbelief, and that suspension does occasionally stretch rather far. However, I can forgive the director and scriptwriter quite a lot in this instance since the focus is so patently on an artistic interpretation. Based on the correspondence, Kate is making VERY frequent drives out to the lake-house. However, instead of seeing those trips, we are given a sense of togetherness by having the characters converse (rather than just read).

All in all, a light, worthwhile film.

Mike says that I have this really weird tradition of seeing great chick flicks with other guys. I know, strange, but true. Shortly after getting married, I watched Moulin Rouge with a good friend while my wife was out. I saw A Walk to Remember with the son of one of my old church leaders. And Lake House, well, I watched it with one of my dads (don't ask, LONG story, but I have many parents).

So, getting beyond the weirdness of watching romances with men, this is a fairly great movie. As Kate says, it's simple, and light, keeping everything just heavy enough to care but light enough to not over think. If we were to break down genres into sub-genres, and then sub-sub-genres, I think The Lakehouse would be in (or around) the same category as The Kid. We never really know how or why the time travel is happening. Instead, it's a simple trick of fate, a bit of magic in a very real world. I like that. Some of my favorite movies deal with just that: a completely real world, with one small helping of magic to make things interesting.

Overall, the film is very tight. I've always been impressed by movies that can move up and down their own timeline and keep it consistent. Lord knows, I shouldn't be-- it seems that staying consistent would be one of those basic expectations for movies. Instead, it's a thing to be appreciated when it's actually present!

Along with the writing, the script is good, and the letter writing progressing to a conversational tone was a nice touch. It helps keep the relationship moving, alive, and vibrant, without just giving in and having the characters meet up.

While I wouldn't classify The Lake House as a compromise movie, it's definitely a great "chick flick" with a nice little sci-fi twist that keeps things interesting.

No comments: