Friday, October 29, 2010

Castle: "Flowers for Your Grave"

Kate says this is a FUN show!

First, and most importantly, I like everyone: Stana Katic, Nathan Fillion, Beckett's people (some of the nicest, most natural-acting scoobies ever), Castle's down-to-earth daughter, his Broadway-inclined mother (I've been a fan of Susan Sullivan since Dharma & Greg: "Wait, I'm getting a hit on my gray-dar!").

To return to the main actors/characters, Stana Katic is the kind of attractive woman who is so interesting in her attractiveness, she doesn't immediately cause (female) viewers to roll their eyes at the studio's choice (sex appeal! sex appeal!), and yet she is radically more attractive than most women on television. (I like the fact that actresses like this are showing up more and more on television.)

As for Nathan Fillion, he is truly excellent. He conveys Castle's self-amusement and laissez-faire attitude effortlessly. Yet, like Paul Gross as Fraser in Due South, he manages to also convey that Castle is projecting an image. It's a true image (the image isn't that divorced from Castle's actual personality), but it still manages to partially mask what a big, gentle, exuberant teddy bear Castle actually is.

Actually, I think Nathan Fillion may just be acting himself.

There are two inspired aspects of the show:

(1) The father-daughter-grandmother relationship. Not only does Castle's relationship with his family provide funny as well as tender moments, it also works as a mirror to Beckett's life. To an extent, Castle has what she lost. Whenever she thinks Castle is just TOO irresponsible, his family relationships remind her that he is actually fairly well-grounded.

(2) The back story for Beckett and Castle, specifically Castle's new book series and Beckett's secret life as Castle's biggest fan. Sure, Castle's fatherless, twice-divorced past offers up some story lines as does Beckett's murdered mother, but the overall arc of writer and muse is truly inspired and gives rise to multiple plot-lines and issues.

Okay, is there anything I don't like? Well, yes. The writers have a tendency to end Castle seasons with the old chestnut: "Which man will the lady choose!?"

I HATE this particular type of conflict. One reason I love Bones so much is that no matter who Bones and Booth date, the Bones-Booth relationship is absolutely solid and uncontestable. In fact, when I get a little tired of the forced tension on Castle or the forced non-relationship on The Mentalist, I watch Bones to make myself feel better. Bones and Booth are just . . . so . . . mature.

But since the Castle writers don't spend THAT much time on the silly "girl must choose between two men" ploy, I can go back to being amused by the rapid-fire dialog and clever plot twists. I just finished Season 2, and I'm ready for Season 3!

Mike says does this season of Firefly seem a little different to anyone else? Was there a time travel episode I missed? Oooohh... missing episode? Time to hit Wikipedia! Ah ha! Here it is...
ABC... crime... wait! Awwwww... OK. FINE. I guess that was denial. Firefly is dead. My grief cycle may be out of sync, but if Serenity was bargaining, then Castle is acceptance. Mal and the Serenity crew may be gone, but Rick Castle is here to stay.

I've had the DVD in the Netflix envelope for almost a month now, just waiting for me to watch it, and probably, love it. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. I don't know why! After finally watching it, I have to admit, I LOVE Castle. It's smart, witty, funny, and suspenseful. I get, like, and enjoy the romantic tension, BUT.... I'm sorta over it. Few shows can really carry the extended romantic tension of a will they/won't they, and when the show puts a majority of their eggs in that basket, well, the audience rarely ends up happy. Either the characters get together too early and the show ends (canceled, usually), or they drag it out so long the fans give up and several TVs get pierced by thrown remote controls.

But, Castle seems like it has a solid chance. The first episode really does a great job of setting up the premise and establishing the characters. I also really liked that nothing was put forward that will have to be "forgotten" for the show to move forward. So often, a pilot or first episode will try to give a little closure to the story, just in case, and then some facts have to be "retconned" in order for the show to work. Castle won't have to worry about this.

Castle also seems to walk that nice line between plot and character driven series--each episode revolves around plot, but the show features ongoing character arcs (I hope!), which is nice if executed correctly. I'm curious to find out if a recurring villain will ever be introduced (though I doubt it), and just how much the writers are willing to develop the characters. I think if Castle doesn't grow, or if each episode becomes a rehash of the same idea over and over, I'll probably stop watching. But as for this first episode, the different elements of the show really sing.

Castle's family is fun, and the parental child is always a fun character, especially when paired with a childish parent. The acting was all spot on, and the dialog is great. The person who really shines in Fillion, who is really deserving of a successful TV show. Nathan Fillion is one of those truly fun, talented actors that, despite being great people, have a really hard time breaking out of cult following level entertainment. Nathan has been in a couple other shows since Firefly (that were immediately canceled) and a couple movies. While he was GREAT, he had a hard time getting recognized. When Castle first premiered, I didn't give it a chance because frankly, I didn't expect it to last. But it did! And I'm excited to keep watching.

2 comments:

Kate Woodbury said...

I think one solution to a series' romantic tension is the X-Files' solution (which is kind of the Bones' solution)--to simply shelve the issue and take for granted that the characters are a couple.

I honestly don't care with X-Files whether Mulder and Scully get together (I use the present tense because I haven't watched beyond Season 6 yet). In fact, to be honest, unlike with Bones and Booth, I don't really believe the relationship would work (Mulder is SO high-maintenance). I am completely content watching them be a working couple. (But then, I also have zero to less than zero interest in the overall alien arc story.)

But in order for this sort of thing to work, the writers have to take it for granted. What annoys me about Castle is that they will keep using the possibility of a romantic relationship as plot fodder rather than letting the viewer just take the relationship for granted. And using without paying-off totally annoys me. (This is one of the many, many, many reasons Chandler and Monica worked and Rachel and Ross didn't.)

Mike Cherniske said...

The thing I really liked about the second X-files movie was that it showed a working Mulder/Scully relationship that was believable. The movie over all was ok (basically an extended episode), but with alot of great payoffs and references back to the shows.

But their relationship is really the highlight of the movie (for me at least).

Lois and Clark is a good example of having trouble with the pacing. It seems that every time they almost get together, Lois gets amnesia! when that device gets old, they finally marry them off, and then things slow down, forcing the writers to separate them again with the who space saga thing! it's really very sloppy. though fun, I must admit.